Wednesday 24 August 2011

An outrage called Arundhati Roy

One of the most horrifying experiences in life is when somebody who you actually dislike for her views  has a view that you agree with - it can be deeply embarrassing. I read Arundhati Roy's views on Anna Hazare and my heart went out for him.
Let me make my position very clear. In my humble opinion, Arundhati Roy stands for one of the most regressive aspects of our society - a one book wonder, she had been propelled by Outlook for her shock value, and not for any great erudition. She opposes everything that the Indian middle class stands for. Many a time, she has taken stands which have been in congruence with many other social workers - for all the wrong reasons.
So when I read Ms Roy's piece in the Hindu, I was deeply embarrassed for the company I keep. Ms Roy's angst with Annasaheb is not because she supports corruption, but that he represents, the section of society that she disagrees with. Left to Ms Roy, she would just as soon give India away to Maoists, Naxals, Islamists, LeT terrorists et al.
My peeve with Annasaheb, is not for the cause, but for the creation of one more institution while not caring for the existing ones. Ms Roy would like to destroy the institutions, including the Indian polity. My peeve with Annasaheb's team is that they dont want to fight the system from within but want to create a new edifice in the system  from the outside. Ms Roy, left to her devices, would just as soon destroy the system to create chaos.
Arundhati Roy does not support Annasaheb, not because of any principle, but simply because she finds any change in the existing system not to her taste.
And therein lies the irony.
while we can bicker about the way and the process adopted by Annasaheb, what many of dont question is the need to weed out corruption in our lives. Some of us want end to the daily corruption in our lives, others want our politicians to reform first.. People like Ms Roy want the Indian polity to become dysfunctional, something that most of us, if not all, disagree with.
Hence my embarrassment at being on the same side as Ms Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment